Leagues

More than 1,300 fans from England and Wales with banning orders will not be allowed to travel to Qatar for this year’s World Cup, the United Kingdom’s Home Office has said.

Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, more (U.S.)

The new measures, which come into effect from Friday, prevent supporters with a history of football-related violence from making the trip to the sport’s showpiece event, which kicks off on Nov. 20 and runs until Dec. 18.

“We will not let the behaviour of a minority of lawbreakers tarnish what will be an exciting tournament,” said Home Secretary Suella Braverman.

Last season there was a sharp rise in pitch invasions and crowd trouble across English football, with the Premier League introducing enhanced safety measures to control misbehaviour ahead of the new campaign.

The Home Office warned that fans flouting the rules could face six months in prison and an unlimited fine.

Any person who has “previously caused trouble and is deemed likely to do so again” will also be banned from travelling.

“Violence, abuse and disorder is not tolerated here, and this criminal behaviour will not be tolerated at the World Cup, which is why we are taking this firm approach,” added Braverman.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

The remarkable leadership of USA’s Tyler Adams
Follow live: Mbappé leads France in knockout match against Poland
World Cup last 16: Why every team left will, won’t win it all
Musiala is the future of German football – Flick
Pena home run in 18th inning gives Astros a series sweep of Mariners

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *